Pabbay House is located in the crofting village of Back which is approximately 6 miles from Stornoway, the main town on the Island. It is a very central location and convenient for making day trips to all parts of Lewis and Harris. The house itself is on a main bus route. We offer our guests the opportunity to be collected and returned either to the airport at Stornoway or to and from the Stornoway ferry terminal.
- The house has 1 double room and 2 twin rooms and can accommodate up to 6 people. The double room is the only ground floor bedroom. There is 1 spacious bathroom located on the ground floor also. There is a fully equipped kitchen with electric oven and hob, washing machine, tumble dryer, microwave, iron and ironing board, and a range of cutlery and crockery.
- Pabbay House is the only self catering property in the Hebrides to have an AA 4* quality Assurance grading.
- The house is fully centrally heated with a wood burning stove in the living room.
- Linen and towels are provided for your stay and if you require a change during your stay then we are more than happy to provide a change for you.
- Pets are more than welcome in the house as long as they are kept down stairs on the wooden floors and kept out of the bedrooms.
- Children are also very welcome to stay in the house and if you require a cot for the younger members of the family then we will happily provide this.
- There is free WIFI throughout the whole house.
On a clear day there are outstanding views from the house across the minch to the mainland of Scotland. The mountains of Assynt and Sutherland can be clearly seen. One of the advantages of the Island of Lewis being situated in the North of Scotland is that between October and April the Northern Lights or Aurora Borealis can be seen on a regular basis.
Alternatively again due to the latitude the Island of Lewis experiences very little darkness during the summer months. In fact around the turn of midsummer there is no darkness at all, there is a transition from daylight to dusk and back again to daylight in a very short period of time. To fully appreciate this one really has to experience it for themselves.
The house is ideally situated for all the outdoor activities the Outer Hebrides has to offer. This includes fresh water and salt water fishing, bird watching, hill walking, cycling, or simply enjoying the stunning scenery walking along one of the many beaches in close proximity to the house. Check out Outer Hebrides Activities for more info on activities on Lewis!
Whilst you are staying at Pabbay House please feel very welcome to use our croft. The croft is situated opposite the house and enter through the trees to the left, behind the car park.
A croft is a narrow strip of ground for agricultural purpose. In effect it is a very small farm.
Please use the seats and benches, to simply sit and enjoy the sound of silence or the call of a bird. Why not take a cup of tea or hot chocolate with you to enjoy a peaceful moment.
We also have a short “forest walk” for our guests to enjoy. Please follow the white marker posts to complete a short loop. The walk follows the course of the iron rich water of the “Back Burn”.
Our intention is to continue to plant native tree species to create a rich diverse habitat which can be enjoyed by both humans and birds. The shelter provided will also benefit livestock.
The croft can also be used to access the wonderful Back beaches we are privileged to have on our doorstep. To get to the sea and beaches simply follow the croft all the way down. The path comes out behind our own house but please do not feel inhibited to walk past our house. Simply cross the main road to get to the sea and also the Gress River half way along the beach.
The croft is there for your enjoyment, please use it.
If you and your children would like the experience of camping, here in Lewis, to enjoy the great outdoors, we can supply a tent and sleeping bags. The tent will be erected on our croft opposite Pabbay House.
We would advise that a parent should be present with their children, in the tent, at all times.
Please ask about using the tent if you are interested.
We are not a campsite. This facility is simply for families, staying at Pabbay house, to enjoy, should the weather be agreeable.